4.06.2009

Pink Void



My initial introduction to Pink Floyd came during the mid nineties while attending high school in Pardeeville, Wisconsin. Every Friday in art class, my instructor insisted on the band's space operatic sounds as a stimulant for my meager artistic ability. To rebel, I drew nothing but mad faces in what I thought was an apparent homage to hip hop/mosh pioneers, Onyx. Mr. Youra had either never heard of them or felt my liberal use of X's dripping in blood conflicted with the Wall imagery hanging all over the classroom walls. I think he liked my art as much as I liked listening to Pink Floyd every Friday.

Next came my sophomore year in college. I enrolled in a class called Music in Film. The curriculum focused on music in film. For one such assignment, a classmate presented on the sync between Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon and the Wizard of Oz. (Learn about here.) It was at this point that I became interested in the experimental aspects of song crafting. Before this revelation, I thought music was just used for talking about money, guns, and girls.

Today, I own only one Pink Floyd album and it is a compilation. Pathetic, I know. Still the grandiose theatrics and whole album concept is not lost on me. I got enough of that in art class.

No comments: